1. Decide upon which seat you wish to practice, but take into account the current market and which area of law you have covered is most likely to secure you a role with a firm of your choice.
2. Do your research on the type of firm you would like to join such as size, legal ranking, location etc. Work out what the most important factors are to you in your search and what would attract you to join a firm. This can help you in the event that you receive multiple offers from multiple firms so you can identify if these factors have been covered.
3. Choose an agent you know and trust and work solely with them in your search. Keep a close relationship so you know which firms have been covered and make clear your requirements. This avoids any duplicate applications being made to firms which can sometimes reflect badly upon you and allows you to know your details are being shared with firms which are likely to be of interest and a good fit.
4. Take into account different salary thresholds for different areas. For example salaries outside of London are likely to be less, but the firms can offer other benefits such as a better work life balance, fast progression and easy commutes. Whereas, London can offer higher salaries and espouse to high net worth work.
5. Most importantly make sure the move is right for you and provides a solid grounding for a successful, enjoyable, prosperous career.