Court of Protection Associate
This Top 50 firm has experienced significant growth in the last 24 months. They have several offices nationally and a growing international presence. They are highly ranked in Court of Protection work and they are looking to strengthen further with the addition of a driven, experienced associate.
They have a different culture compared to that of most practices of their size; they have a much more relaxed, collaborative, and forward-thinking culture.
Staff value more in the way of work-life balance and flexibility. They invest heavily in their workforce and are very progressive, their learning and development programme is widely respected in the legal sector and has been recognised by several industry awards. They are a cohesive, inclusive, and entrepreneurial organisation. This firm boast over 10 chambers ranked departments, ranging from Corporate, to Real Estate, to Private Wealth / Court of Protection
The firm has a San Francisco office; this office reinforces both its position as a leading US/UK inward investment specialist, and its cross-border M&A and international private wealth practices.
The firm is seeking to hire a new Court of Protection Solicitor into their Basingstoke, Hampshire office.
The Court of Protection department deals with a broad range of privately funded work, they do not deal with Legal Aid.
Many of their clients may lack capacity to handle their own financial affairs. This may arise from an acquired brain injury, or, in the case of children, they may be considered unlikely to have that capacity when they reach the age of 18.
The team provides the comprehensive service required to set up and manage deputyships within the Court of Protection. They can act as professional deputies and assist with Court of Protection procedures where the deputy is a family member.
You will be providing expert advice on…
- acting as a professional deputy for property and financial affairs
- assisting with applications to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a lay deputy
- the legal requirements of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and the Code of Practice for lay deputies including decisions relating to an individual's personal welfare
- applications for statutory wills
- preparation of personal injury trusts
- preparation of disabled person's trusts
Recent highlights of their work include a multimillion-pound settlement, investing a personal injury claimant's funds, establishing a care regime and adapting his home. They also drafted a corresponding trust deed to reflect the contributions with the Court of Protection's approval.
As well as this they have successfully contested a local authority decision so that a large personal injury award was disregarded for means-testing purposes and securing all statutory funding available for their client.
This role comes with excellent prospects for progression and would suit a candidate who is perhaps in a top-heavy team who is looking for a pathway for progression.
- You will be a Court of Protection Solicitor with experience within a fee earning position (there is no upper limit on the amount of experience and I would urge even the most experienced to apply for this role)
- You will have broad experience in Court of Protection work
- You should have a good technical knowledge
- You should have a good billings history in recent times
- Salary is above market rate and negotiable depending on your level of PQE
This is an excellent opportunity for a Court of Protection Associate to join this growing Top 50 practice based in their Basingstoke, Hampshire office.
Apply now for immediate consideration or feel free to give me a call for a confidential conversation!