Locum Business Partner - Social Care
My client is a large and fast moving local authority legal team in the South West of England. They are actively seeking to recruit an Interim Principal Lawyer to manage their highly respected Social Care Legal Team.
This is an on-going assignment and will currently last for a minimum of 6 months.
My client is based in a beautiful area of the country, surrounded by attractive landscapes and protected areas of natural beauty. With numerous Council backed developments in the pipeline, including a National Theatre, Library and Stadium, this local authority can offer its contractors a vibrant lifestyle as well as a varied caseload.
The Social Care Team deliver legal services for complex areas of law, including: childcare, adult care, education, SEN, tribunals, exclusions and adoptions. They are consistently praised for their legal expertise, having consistently met the 26 week deadline under the public law outline.
The team have a reputation for consistently offering a variety of challenging and stimulating legal work, excellent support and resources and a real interest in employee's personal development. The council work in an open plan environment and have good business systems in place. Theirs is a 'can-do 'culture where talented and ambitious people thrive.
The appointed lawyer will line mange the social care team, improving performance and placing the needs of communities at the heart of the Service. If appointed, you will be the most senior legal practitioner in the Council for social care, and therefore will need to bring significant experience and knowledge with them. The team is made up of 15 team members who you will need to mentor, motivate and manage.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or FILEx with a current practising certificate. They will be an expert with recent and significant practical experience in either education, child care, adult care or health care law. They will also have significant experience of being the lead legal advisor on significant and sensitive cases and have the ability to inspire and motivate colleagues at all times.
Duties will include:
- Attending senior leadership and board meetings
- Be a Senior Legal Practitioner in either adult, childcare, education or health care law and hold a manageable personal caseload
- Line managing lawyers from multiple legal disciplines
- Making decisions concerning the future of the Legal Service and its budget
- Achieving income targets for the Service
- Instructing external legal support
- Resolving issues regarding poor performance and service provision
- Contributing to the management of legal risks
- Participating in the promotion of the Legal Service, including training for internal and external clients
- Attending marketing and promotional events
- Ensuring that clients and staff are aware of legislative changes and implications
Hourly rate is negotiable dependent upon experience but candidates can expect an offer of £50 - £60 per hour. (Inside IR35). 1 -2 days working from home each week can also be arranged, if required although as the nature of the role requires attendance at court candidates should be reasonable in their expectations for homeworking.
To apply, or to discuss this role further, please contact Emily Bulman at Chadwick Nott, Birmingham.
Chadwick Nott Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.