Associate (Senior Level)
We are a national law firm offering a unique collection of specialisms across the commercial, public, health and insurance sectors, with offices in Birmingham, Exeter, London, Manchester and Nottingham. We have long-standing relationships with an impressive range of clients and aim to truly
understand their needs to deliver an exceptional service which exceeds their expectations and makes their life easier.
Purpose of the role
To advise and assist clients in connection with legal aspects of banking matters and leading / supporting banking transactions.
The Banking team are part of a highly regarded group of dedicated lawyers, forming part of the business services department. As well as a significant list of bank clients, the team supports the firm’s corporate and property departments on funding transactions.
A key part of the role involves business development and so the role gives the right individual the opportunity to build their profile and standing as a leading banking specialist in their market.
To be referred to in conjunction with the generic job description and your personal development plan.
1. To advise clients upon all legal aspects of their actual and proposed banking contracts and arrangements in particular relating to acquisition finance, property finance, asset based lending, restructuring and refinancing.
2. To prepare and negotiate banking contracts specifically drafting/negotiating facility agreements (bilateral and syndicated) relating to a variety of funding transactions.
3. Leading / supporting banking transactions and therefore in addition to drafting and negotiating the key documentation, attending and leading / supporting client meetings, project managing transactions, supervising other fee earners in the banking team (for example in relation to conditions precedent and the preparation of security), instructing and managing overseas lawyers and instructing and managing other lawyers within Browne Jacobson who will support on banking transactions.
4. Managing any junior members of the team and arranging, with the other senior lawyers in the team, on an “as needs basis” training for the banking team on specific issues.
5. To actively market the team in the Nottingham/Birmingham market by maintaining regular contact with the key bankers in Nottingham/Birmingham and building profile and relationships with these individuals.
6. To record time promptly and meet financial goals. You would be expected to achieve over six hours chargeable time each day.
- Good IT and keyboard skills and at ease with MS Office
- Familiarity with on-line and library research facilities, keeping up-to-date with legal developments
- Expected to keep up-to-date with legal developments by reading monthly journals / online updates
- You will be expected to be familiar and compliant with the full range of regulatory policies and procedures including: equal opportunity and diversity, data protection and confidentiality/security, anti-bribery and anti-money laundering etc
- You will also be required to undertake mandatory compliance training as required
As part of the banking team, you would be expected to have the following skills and experience:
- A sound knowledge of the application of general legal principles applicable to most but not necessarily all of the following areas of banking: acquisition finance, property finance, development finance, asset based lending, restructuring, refinancing and hedging.
- The ability to apply this knowledge to the preparation of clear and accurate contracts (drafted from scratch, where necessary) and other documentation and advices.
- A strong commercial approach so can clearly understand and focus on clients’ key issues / concerns and offer solutions to issues that arise during transactions and differentiate him/herself and the team from the competition.
- A real interest in keeping up to date with developments in the financial world as this enhances the level of understanding of clients’ financial transactions. A keen interest in passing this knowledge/know-how onto other members of the team.
- The ability to master complex contracts and regulations with careful attention to detail.
- The ability to negotiate effectively.
- A true team player with high levels of personal commitment and initiative whilst also being able to supervise others and delegate work appropriately.
- Flexible, enthusiastic, ambitious, focused, results oriented and keen to take responsibility and develop the business.
- Comfortable personal style which puts clients and colleagues at ease and which enables banking transactions to operate smoothly and with fun.
- Willing to spend time (if required) in the firm’s other offices.