We are a national law firm offering a unique collection of specialisms across the commercial, public, health and insurance sectors, with offices in Birmingham, Exeter, London, Manchester and Nottingham. We have
long-standing relationships with an impressive range of clients and aim to truly understand their needs to deliver an exceptional service which exceeds their expectations and makes their life easier.
Purpose of the role
We are a recognised genuine education sector expert and market leader which has benefited from dynamic growth in our education practice over the last five years. The depth and breadth of our offering coupled
with a national office network (five offices) continues to be a winning combination and the firm now boasts a national client base of over 1,000 education sector organisations including maintained and independent
schools, boarding schools, academies and their sponsors, further education colleges, local authorities, diocesan boards of education, regulatory bodies, independent learning providers, educational charities and professional associations. The team is ranked in Band One nationally for Education by both Chambers and Legal 500 and prides itself on its friendly, supportive and dynamic culture.
We are seeking to enhance the education team through the recruitment of a newly qualified to seven years PQE solicitor with general education law experience. The ideal candidate will have experience of acting on
both non-contentious and contentious education matters and both transactional and operational issues in the education sector. The solicitor will work with the firm’s education team nationally advising clients on a
range of project-based work including academy conversions and also the full range of education law operational matters relating to state funded schools. This is a genuine opportunity to become part of a successful and expanding national education team that will support your career development. While
receiving appropriate training and development opportunities working alongside our team of partners, the solicitor will also have autonomy to make the role their own and will be expected to engage heavily in business development and profile raising activity.
- Providing advice to the firm’s education clients on time and to the expected standard of technical competence
- Understanding education client requirements and managing matters in line with agreed timetables and best practice
- Prioritise work effectively
- Develop increased levels of technical and commercial knowledge through training and supervision
- Build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and clients
- Actively participating in the education team’s business development and marketing activities
- Recording time promptly, meeting financial goals and achieving 6.5 hours’ chargeable time daily
- Demonstrable experience and technical expertise appropriate to a solicitor of your level of PQE in advising clients on education sector matters
- Excellent legal drafting skills, the ability to provide clear, concise and commercially relevant advice and to provide clients with legally and commercially effective solutions
- Up-to-date with legal developments and government policy within the education sector
- Good IT and keyboard skills, at ease with digital dictation, electronic time recording and MS Office and Outlook
- You will be expected to be familiar and compliant with the full range of regulatory policies and procedures including: equal opportunity and diversity, data protection and confidentiality/security, anti-bribery and anti-money laundering etc.
- You will also be required to undertake mandatory compliance training as required
As part of the education team, you would be expected to have the following skills and experience:
- The ability to provide advice to clients to a high standard and often to tight timescales
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clients, to get on well with clients and intermediaries and to build strong relationships with them
- The ability to work as part of a team both within the education team, the wider department and the firm as a whole
- A strong academic background: ideally 2:1 degree or equivalent with relevant experience in providing legal advice as outlined above
- Flexible, enthusiastic, energetic, ambitious, focused, results oriented and keen to take responsibility and develop the business
- An effective communicator and negotiator able to establish and maintain harmonious and professional relationships with clients and colleagues
- Attentive to detail, keeping up-to-date with legal developments
- Willing to spend regular time across the firm’s network of offices