Corporate/Commercial Education Solicitor/Partner
Our client is an international firm and they are currently looking to recruit a senior corporate commercial lawyer (6 years + PQE) to join the Universities and Higher Education Team in our Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester office.
The role would involve undertaking a varied caseload of corporate/commercial advice primarily for clients in the higher education sector including advising on:-
- the establishment of new providers of higher education and advising on the new regulatory regime under the Office for Students including on obtaining degree awarding powers and university title;
- commercial projects including advising on the establishment of special purpose vehicles and trading subsidiaries;
- the establishment of contractual and corporate joint ventures, which are often international in nature;
- mergers, disposals and acquisitions of business and assets;
- collaboration agreements; and
- the reform of governing documents and corporate governance including providing guidance on directors and trustee duties, delegation of authority and the validity of decision making.
The role would primarily focus on advising higher education institutions and private sector higher education providers in a team which is recognised both internally and externally as undertaking leading edge and strategically important work for the global education sector.
An understanding of charity law and its applicability to exempt charities and the corporate structures utilised in the education sector (i.e chartered and statutory corporations and companies limited by guarantee) would be desirable for the role, although training and support to develop sector knowledge will be provided in a coaching environment.
The higher education sector is currently undergoing significant regulatory change and so now is an ideal time to develop a specialism in this area.
Writing bid documents, participating in business development pitches and supporting the management of client relationships will also be required as part of the role and so experience of this will also be desirable.
The role is a great opportunity for a senior lawyer looking to take the next step in their career and who is interested in working in a dynamic team with a stimulating caseload.
Background to the Team
The Firm's Global Education Group is rated as a Tier 1 firm in the legal directories and acts for over 60 universities and private sector higher education providers. The Groupincludes over 150 lawyers based in the offices in the UK, Middle East and Asia Pacific. This is an exciting time to join the Group. The universities and higher education sector is going through rapid change as a market develops and institutions look to transform their business. Clients are seeking new opportunities and tackling the challenges that the sector faces.
The Candidate Required
The successful candidate will have gained experience in a mid to top tier commercial practice specialising in corporate/commercial transactional work with either existing education sector experience or a desire to specialise in this area.
Candidates must be technically excellent, commercially-minded and have strong problem-solving and drafting skills. They will be team players, adaptable and able to think 'outside-of-the-box'. They will be enthusiastic about developing knowledge of the education sector and business development, quick at learning and have excellent communication, project management and presentational skills.
- The very best national and international work.
- Responsibility and opportunities to develop client relationships with business development activities playing a key part of the role
- Genuine long-term career prospects.
Lipson Lloyd Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy. Please note our advertisements use PQE levels purely as a guide to the minimum level of experience required. However we are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfill this kind of work.