In House Lawyer (Commercial)
Practice group/Global Operations team: Global Operations
Type of Vacancy: Permanent
Full time/Part time: Full-Time
This Firm is not your average law Firm and they're not looking for average people. They do things differently - in the way they treat their people and the service they provide. That's how they've become one of the largest law Firms in the world and a great place to work and develop your career.
Recognized as the leading innovators in the legal sector, this is a Firm that understands what clients need today and what they will need tomorrow. They focus on creative and cost-effective solutions for their clients. It is an approach that makes this Firm a distinctive and innovative force in the legal world.
The Risk & Knowledge Team’s remit is across the Firm’s UK, Europe, Asia and Middle East offices, supporting the business, their legal and other colleagues. As a team they are responsible for the Firm’s regulatory and legal compliance, for its contracts with clients and suppliers, for new business intake and conflict management, for ISO 9001 accreditation, for its insurance arrangements and for handling claims. They are a vibrant and enthusiastic team, and following recent investment they are now looking to expand the team once again.
This role is to work with the Head of Contracts & Commercial, to support the Firm with its contracting arrangements with clients, suppliers and other law Firms and generally its client and supplier management processes and policies. This is an additional role to work within the existing dedicated team of three.
The role is extremely varied; the issues that arise and the queries from the Firm’s legal teams mean that no two days are ever the same. The work is a mix of strategic projects and ongoing work. Examples of strategic projects include supporting the international expansion by office opening, joint ventures, implementing major new client wins and implementing new legislation or regulation.
You will have constant interaction with partners, legal advisers and business colleagues at all levels across the Firm as well as directly with clients and suppliers. You will be dealing with contacts in all of the Firm’s offices and will gain profile and reputation with them. This is an international role.
The Risk & Knowledge team has the ability to draw on the expertise of their own lawyers and you will often be working with experts in the particular area. It is a great opportunity to work as an in-house lawyer in a fast-moving corporate environment within a strong team and with the resources of a major global law Firm.
- Reviewing, drafting, advising on and negotiating contracts with suppliers across business areas, including facilities management, marketing, IT and HR and Practice Groups
- Advising the Firm generally on contractual matters
- Supplier management policies, procedures and processes – including due diligence programme, database and ongoing review
- Responsibility for standard engagement documentation
- Reviewing, drafting and advising on client specific agreements and then agreeing terms with that client
- Supporting on client pitches, reviewing requirements and terms
- Support on the constitutional structure and advising on related queries and projects
- Advising on the Firm’s contractual arrangements with other law firms and other third parties
- Assisting on key projects that support the Firm in achieving its strategic objectives
- Reviewing and considering new legislation and its impact on the Firm, advising the business on changes needed and designing new policies and procedures, changes to contracts and client terms
- Designing and delivering training sessions as part of project work and as part of the Firm’s ongoing compliance programme
- Working with the wider Risk & Knowledge team on projects from time to time
- Any other duties as reasonably required by the role
Skills and Experience:
- A qualified solicitor, ideally with a minimum of 4 years PQE in commercial and contracting work
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to deliver sensitive messages tactfully when required
- A pragmatic and innovative approach to meeting client needs
- The ability to demonstrate commercial awareness when providing technical advice
- The ability to think independently, contribute to projects and confidently engage with and influence colleagues at all levels
- Strong commercial and financial awareness
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise
- Enjoys working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, in an autonomous and independent way
- A team player, willing and able to work closely and collaboratively with immediate and wider teams
- A lively, energetic personality and enthusiasm for providing excellent client service
- A tenacious yet practical approach to problem solving
- Excited and challenged by the pace and demands of a corporate environment
- High degree of commercial awareness, with the ability to contribute to the wider business agenda
- A range of influencing skills, personal impact and communication skills that will ensure success and command instant credibility at all levels of the organisation
- A high degree of flexibility and responsiveness in approach to work
- Service-orientated with an ability to understand the varied issues facing the offices across the Firm’s network and provide possible solutions to challenges
- Resilient under pressure and willing to work with the challenges brought by change
Our client is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.
Apply for This Role
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like to find out more information, please submit your CV below and we will contact you.