Lawyer in Company Commercial, IT
Practice group/Global Operations team: Company Commercial
Type of Vacancy: Permanent
Full time/Part time: Full-Time
The Firm’s company commercial group handles major projects for some of the largest clients in the world. The Firm enables their lawyers to stretch their skills and gain experience that few other law Firms can offer. The group includes a wide variety of experts, from dealmakers and banking experts through to contract drafters and IP specialists. With the resources of an international Firm and an award winning, innovative approach, all of this Firm’s people are able to offer carefully managed, progressive business solutions that modern day organisations require.
The London technology team has a growing practice with in-depth experience in the industry, advising on the full range of technology transactions. These include complex software and technology licensing procurements including enterprise resources, planning deals, software and platform implementations, managed data and network arrangements, assisting with software audits, software as a service and other cloud arrangements. In addition to this, the Firm deal with data center and hosting transactions (including leases and services arrangements), hardware supply projects, and website development. The department also have deep knowledge and experience in the full range of outsourcing matters, including IT outsourcing (such as applications development and maintenance, infrastructure, networks, IT service integration and cloud computing solutions); and business process outsourcing. The telecoms element of the Firm’s practice advises on major telecoms network roll outs, communications services agreements and telecoms system procurements. The team also undertakes a broader range of related work types, such as advising on communications regulations, contracts for the supply of equipment, software and services and corporate support. The Firm have an excellent list of clients and are heavily involved in work with a major international element and otherwise across other parts of the Firm. The team has a particular focus in the financial services sector, where they advise on all elements of financial services regulatory compliance in relation to technology and sourcing arrangements (including cyber issues).
The London Commercial team is split into a number of work product groups which includes technology, energy, IP/media, data privacy, procurement, commercial contracts and rail. The current vacancy is within the technology part of the Commercial team and is based in London.
Due to increasing demand, the team is growing, and the Firm are looking for a bright associate to join the team and develop the practice. There is a real opportunity for you to be heavily involved in the growth of the business.
The Firm’s clients include major investment and retail banks, insurance companies, funds and asset managers, multinational oil and mining companies, cloud services and data centre providers. Alongside these clients, the Firm are providing cutting edger work in the areas of Fintech, Cybersecurity, blockchain, IoT and other hot topics.
You will play a key role in assisting in growing, and developing the technology team, working alongside the Partners in the team. You will also be important in helping grow the TMT sector group within the Firm both nationally and internationally. You must be open to exploiting different opportunities to meet client demands from time to time.
The role involves:
- Advising on technology contracts including technology system builds, software licensing, hosting deals and technology outsourcing transactions.
- Advising on business process outsourcing projects, middle office and fund administration.
- Stand-alone advisory work (e.g. on financial services outsourcing, cyber-security, e-signatures and telecoms regulation)
- Support on corporate deals (as and when required);
- Business development initiatives, including speaking at seminars for clients, internal training as well as client briefing papers.
- Assisting with growing the technology and outsourcing practice.
- Client relationship management
Skills and experience:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of advising on the full range of IT and outsourcing contracts;
- Experience of advising in the financial services sector and an interest in one other sector;
- Experience of the telecoms sector;
- Experience of advising in the data center sector;
- A keen interest in technology;
- 2 - 6 years PQE of advising on outsourcing and technology contracts;
- Excellent academic qualifications;
- Have a good grounding in commercial law, connected laws and regulations; and
- Be able to demonstrate strong analytical skills and attention to detail and be able to communicate effectively at different levels and with clients from a variety of different cultures.
Typically, you will be 2-6 years PQE, to have gained the required breadth and depth of experience for this role.
A band of PQE as advertised on a role does not preclude applications from those candidates that may have more or less PQE. The Firm’s intention is only to indicate a guideline as to how long they would expect a qualified lawyer to have practised so as to have gained the necessary skills for the role as described.
- You work to get a full understanding of the client’s needs and its business drivers from the outset.
- You build a rapport with clients by questioning and exploring their view.
- You demonstrate experience in managing communications confidently, clearly and appropriately with a wide range of stakeholders including clients and colleagues.
- You demonstrate commercial awareness when providing technical advice.
- You have a track-record of actively seeking to build links with other parts of the business and delivering results.
- You are a team player and keen to get involved in growing a team that enjoys working together. This is essential.
Our client is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.
Apply for This Role
If you are interested in applying for this role or would like to find out more information, please submit your CV below and we will contact you.