Group General Counsel and Company Secretary
Location is flexible depending on the person, with a willingness to travel regularly throughout the UK. You may be located near Cumbria, London, Cheshire, or Oxfordshire.
Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) is a non-departmental public body (NDPB) created through the Energy Act 2004 to ensure the safe and efficient clean-up of the UK’s nuclear legacy. The mission of the NDA group is clear; ‘To clean up the UK’s earliest nuclear sites safely, securely and cost-effectively with care for people and the environment.’
NDA is undergoing a change in the way it is organised, transforming how it manages some its businesses to find more effective and efficient ways of providing nuclear clean-up and decommissioning, on behalf of the UK tax payer.
This has led to the creation of One NDA which, at its core, is a group of businesses unified by its mission - working together more effectively and efficiently. There are around 16,000 people who help deliver NDA’s mission and they make up one of the most advanced nuclear workforces in the world. One NDA plans to capitalise on this wealth of experience and talent, harnessing the opportunities that come from the scale and breadth of the group.
At this exciting and challenging time, NDA is seeking to appoint a Group General Counsel and Company Secretary who will support and provide strategic advice to the NDA Board, CEO and the Executive Team on all legal and corporate matters.
The role will be instrumental in continually developing relationships with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom Government Investments (UKGI) and other key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be a pragmatic and engaging individual, comfortable working with, and influencing key business leaders.
- Proactively contributing to the development of NDA’s overall reputation amongst the wider public, government and other external organisations
- Contributing to, and often leading, the assessment of balanced risk decision-making on significant opportunities
- Overseeing the appointment and contribution of external legal advisers, ensuring specified legal outcomes are delivered on time, within budget and at the required quality
- Developing practise teams across NDA group to identify, standardise and simplify appropriate legal agreement templates and procedures
- Attending Board meetings and providing a comprehensive company secretarial service to the Board, including an ongoing review of corporate governance best practice
NDA is very keen to discuss this opportunity with experienced qualified solicitors or barristers who have operated previously as a General Counsel with the skills and relationship building capabilities to undertake this challenging opportunity.
NDA values the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best.
To discuss this role in confidence, please contact Laurence Wolahan, Hays Executive Partner: 020 7259 8743 or Mobile: 07764 902 591
To apply, please upload your resume and covering letter, stating why you are the ideal candidate for the position of Group General Counsel and Company Secretary at the NDA. Do also include details of current remuneration package.
Closing date for applications: 9th June 2019
Preliminary interviews: Mid-June 2019
NDA interviews: Beginning July 2019
Please note: The above dates maybe subject to change